Search This Blog

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire Crorepati or Lakhpati, I don care much ! ! !


What ever the nomenclature they use, we need to take a different view to the movie that’s been a surprise entry at all the major award functions this year.

I kept hearing about the movie for a long time, chose not to watch it till it got officially released and so you can blame the extra anticipation about the movie on that. When I saw the movie last Friday, I anything but agreed to the views of most people that it’s THE movie of the year!

Initially when I read about AB’s comments, I felt that he’s just being a spoil sport about the fact that an Indian could not make a movie like this, but after watching the movie even I feel bad. Call me a spoil sport too but am appalled by the way firangis come here show anything from the pedophiles’ escapades to the tortures lives of the Indian poor and showcase it as a masterpiece. The problem is not about running away from reality but instead to question the opportunism and selfish attitude.

Today we are seeing everyone from Anil K to Dev P to Frieda P up there on stage feeling very proud of what they have been part of but how many did even consider doing something about bettering the lives of the very characters they were playing?

Guess my voice like the voice of many others reached DannyB, before it could become a reason for the film’s non success in India that he has declared to donate a part of the earnings from the movie towards re-habilitating slumdogs, ain’t that what they call the kids from slums! I appreciate the initiative but just putting the money there will not be enough, one has to get their hands dirty as well. Hope Mr Danny B, gets some time after accepting all those awards to do a little bit of work here.

3 comments:

S said...

You know something....

Its funny, we have an expectation out of Danny B, and not our own selves? Why dont we, do something about the slum kids, Dharavi isnt far! infact its in the same city.

Its just going beyond "blogging". A week-end wont harm much.

the first few steps?

Vrooom said...

Hey S,

While i haven't been able to do much, but am making my few steps. We are organizing a small trek for the kids from the Khar Slums, we are doing this along with Akanksha, would be great if you could join us.

Its always easier to just turn ones back and say that "What have you done to be able to blame someone" but i feel that's a escape route for not being sensitive to facts, one doesn't necessarily have to have done something to be able to point what is wrong somewhere else, being sensitive to what's wrong is the first step to doing something more relevant.

Cheers..

S said...

I am not saying you cant have an expectation of someone else without doing your bit, All i am saying is, why cant we have an expectation from our own selves?

I am glad to know that you do your bit. I would love to join in the trek, which weekend?

This weekend i am not in town, but the other's are free, so let me know. I would love to be a part of this and thank you for asking this of me.

Cheers!